Federal Government Invests in Cove Island Lightstation

May 6, 2015

Federal Government Invests in Cove Island Lightstation

 

Ottawa, ON – Today, Larry Miller, MP for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, on behalf of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, announced an infrastructure investment of up to $200,000 to upgrade the Cove Island Lighthouse.

 

Construction for the Cove Island Lighthouse began in 1855 with the site becoming operational in October 1858. Having been continuously manned from 1858-1991, the Cove Island Lighthouse is the longest light-keeper-occupied station in Ontario. The lighthouse has been petitioned for heritage status under the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act, a bill sponsored by Mr. Miller in the House of Commons, and it is currently under review.

 

This investment will be used for structural repairs to the interior of the former light-keeper’s house and restoration of the stone work of the light tower. Removal of existing lead-based paint and repainting of the Cove Island Lighthouse will also take place.

 

Minister Shea stated that: “Today’s announcement builds on the Government of Canada’s commitment to infrastructure investments ensuring historical landmarks like the Cove Island Lighthouse remain secure and solid for future generations to enjoy.”

 

This announcement comes as part of the Government’s initiatives to support infrastructure across the country. Last fall, it was announced that an investment of $5.8 billion over the next 2 years would be invested in infrastructure in areas such as heritage, First Nations education, defence, borders, research facilities, harbours, transportation, and search and rescue. As part of this funding, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Canadian Coast Guard will receive a total of $551.1 million.

 

“Canada’s light stations are critically important to navigation and safety in our waters and on our coasts,” said Miller. “I am very pleased to see that the Federal Government will be investing in repairing and restoring the Cove Island Lighthouse so that its beacon can continue to mark safe passage for mariners between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.”

 

-30-